zaterdag 13 september 2008

The arrival

On the 10th of August, I arrived in Atlanta. That's on my birthday, indeed, and I had a great party on the airplane, listening to the screaming kids that where going to Orlando...

The evening before I left, my parents had a surprise for me:


And that's indeed one of the things I really miss by now...

But well, back to the 10th of August:
So I arrived after a long flight on which I couldn't sleep, and then I really got lost at the airport. I just couldn't find the bagage claim and I was in panic and thinking to myself that I just should have stayed home. But then I just opened my eyes, saw the bagage claim sign and survived my first "what the hell am I doing here" attack.
The second problem was finding a cab. In the end, I found one, and arrived at my hotel safe and sound. I was starving, so I needed to search food. When I'm hungry, I easily can stomach two sandwiches, but the 2 sandwiches I bought on my arrival day, where almost too much for me. So the first lesson I learned was that a small sandwich here equals two belgian "smoskes". (I'd kill for a mom-made smos met kaas en hesp en mamayonaise right now, by the way).
The next mistake I made was calling home. The freaking call cost me as much as one night in a hotel...
So, around 8pm, I had a brilliant idea: sleeping!

The next morning, I had this lovely view:

And after breakfast, I headed toward the campus, but I'll write about another time.

2 opmerkingen:

Unknown zei

dagen duurt het dus vooraleer je geen Nederlands meer praat...

Verloochenen ken je nog?

Eva Lantsoght zei

ik denk in een irritante mix van engels en nederlands, momenteel :)