zaterdag 25 oktober 2008

Trip with my host family

I had a great weekend!
Yesterday I went to a party, and figured out that one of the guys there was another belgian BAEF fellow. I made him happy with some of the chocotoffs my mom sent me.
This morning I had to get up way too early. My host family (assigned through the AMIGO project), planned to take me and their other exchange student Mike to the north of the state. We started by driving up to Amicalola waterfalls state park. My stomach was not too happy with the combination of chocotoffs, Stella and whiskey from the previous evening and the curvy road going up in the mountains. So I was a bit quiet in the back of the car and thinking I should have brought a bottle of water along...
Anyway, in the state park we had lunch on top of the mountain. The lunch itself was pretty good, and the view was simply terrific! The new things my taste buds explored here were fried ocra, southern style carrot salad (with raisins), pecan pie and some warm dessert with cherries that they top off with some soft ice... It was all very enjoyable! Oh, and I had sweet tea to go with my lunch... I'm becoming a bit of a Southern I guess, because when I arrived here I thought their sweet tea was way too sweet for me, but now I do enjoy it.
After lunch, we headed to the top of the falls, a viewpoint from which you can look down over the falls. We didn't hike all the way back down to the bottom of the falls, because it was a bit cold and windy. I might like to do that another time, though.
Our next destination was the apple house in Elijah. And, oh surprise, I got apples there. They're so much better than the ones from the supermarket.
Then we started our return to Atlanta. On our way back, we made a stop in Dahlonega, the place where the gold rush in Georgia took place, somewhere around 1830. It's a cute small town nowadays, with a country band playing close to the court house at the main square.
And then we drove back home, and after putting my photos on Facebook and writing my blog, I'm going to plunge my nose back into my dynamics book and do some more studying. Yes, I do study a lot, I really work my ass off here, but that's just not so interesting to write about compared to my trips around here.

Geen opmerkingen: